Friday, July 23, 2010

Don* Grade Geek? What the hell does that mean?

Well, it's better than Knuth Grade Geek, isn't it?

I want to be a major geek. Like if-I-choose-the-dark-side-you-better-call-Luke geek. I'm more or less a mechanic in my daylight life, but at night I eat and breathe "geek." I love video games, I read comic books, and when I can't relax I open up a book on the history of the steam engine, or just as likely I'll be watching Diggnation.

So, I fit something like the standard m.o.. But I've been messing around with programming on-and-off (mostly off) since high school, and now I'm 26 and I'm still reading technology blogs and thinking how cool guys like Kevin Rose and Matt Dorey are, when I don't really grasp a thing about programming.

So, I aspire to be a Don* Grade Geek.

"Don*" means "Donald Knuth," as in the guy who wrote "The Art of Computer Programming." That's the 4 volume(and running) book of which Bill Gates said "You should definitely send me a résumé if you can read the whole thing."

The plan is to get through the whole book, with a little help from my friends, of course. And yours, perhaps. So, let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment