Monday, August 2, 2010

BlueJ . . . what the heck is that?

I've started down the second road as laid out by Sun Microsystems, and that is using BlueJ, which is a neat program that keeps you from typing into the console . . . instead you create and experiment with programs using a graphical interface.

I'm reading "Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using Java" along with BlueJ to have a structured learning plan that's doing the trick . . .

I actually really like BlueJ so far, I can see where they're going with these lessons, and I get why they're using a GUI (graphical user interface, for those readers coming from the same place I am), giving the student a visual reference for getting a better grasp of classes and instances, very important concepts in Java.

All these objects and instances are subject to a hierarchy, and after the first two lessons, I can definitely say I have an understanding of how these objects relate to one another. I love it, and I'm glad my friend Ryan referred me to Sun/Oracles's "New to Java Programming Center." As well as a simple way to comprehend Java's objects, classes, and instances, it is also a great introduction to understanding the types of data that can be used in methods which allow these objects to interact with each other. The programming language has to know what type of data you're inputting . . . integers (whole numbers), strings (text), boolean (true or false), etc.

I really recommend skipping Greenfoot if you're interested in programming. My suggestion is to get yourself a copy of Objects First with Java. The great thing about using the book as a guide is that outside of the standard lessons, you are also presented with challenges to figure out some things for yourself once you've learned enough. This is my favorite part: where the lessons themselves take up 30 min of my time or so, the challenges have had me experimenting for hours. I think this a great format on the author's part. If you really have a passion to learn programming, you do enough to get your footing and then you're encouraged to play around and do your own thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment