Monday, August 2, 2010

You .:. Step Forward

BlueJ . . . I'm still messing around with . . .

But the point here is to do 5 programs before starting on Knuth's _big_ book. Well, I figured if I'm going to put the time into making some programs at least one of them should do something that will make my life better(isn't that the point?).

So, I've gotten myself all riled up on the idea of building a parts inventory database for my service company(dental equipment service, by the way, if you're curious).

And so, a new obsession was born("The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "One who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc."): and, having a new obsession - this time not about researching the whole history of Mastodon without buying a single album of theirs because I liked a track of theirs on the Brutal Legend soundtrack - that can actually make me more productive in the real world, I've pretty much dived in head first.

Now, knowing that I had this grand idea to create a fully editable and always available parts inventory, and being as excited about this new project as anyone with a geek-disposition would be, I pursued this project by researching every available programming language out there. Now, I was most impressed with the potential of Python and Perl, but I had to be realistic - after a lot of searching it's pretty obvious that php was made for web development, and it easily works with mySql. If you're just starting out like me, go with what will be easiest to learn. Then, when you know what it is to be a coder, you can really evaluate Python and Perl in real terms.

So, I've been playing around with SQL the last week. Cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment